Monday, July 18, 2011

TRUST IN GOD.....

The day has arrived to take the trip to Haiti. It was so hard to block out the monotony of the morning …specifically wondering if there was anything I forgot to cross off the to-do-list before boarding the plane; if the kids would be okay while I’m gone; if I brought enough snacks, etc.

PRIMARY FOCUS
In route to the airport, a dear friend reminded me to make the primary focus doing God’s will and transforming lives. It was eloquently reiterated that One heart saved is a new life in Christ” and the following scriptures were shared:

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler"
Psalm 91:1-4 (NKJV)

“But forget all that—it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."
Isaiah 43:18-19 (NLT)

RECAP OF 1st DAY IN HAITI
These scriptures brought immediate comfort upon landing in Haiti this afternoon. Our team experienced a very abnormal length of time getting our luggage. However, it bonded us closer together and taught us a lesson in humility and patience. The highlight of the first day on this trip was visiting people who live in what is known as tent city. It was a very humbling experience meeting men, women, and children who had bright smiles on their face despite living in extremely poor living conditions. Yes, living in tents. These are not the type of tents one would buy from Target. Some were made out of sheets, brick, and are the size of a clothes closet. My heart ached for a young child that was playing on a bed of rocks and only had one shoe on her feet. It was very evident from her frail frame that she is malnourished. When asked her age, she stated she did not know. I would venture to guess 6 years old. Our team simply hung out with the kids for a couple of hours. A simple game of slapjack, soccer, and thumb wars made them content. It was so hard to leave them and head back to our living quarters but I know we are scheduled to visit again this week.

TWO LESSONS LEARNED
As the night winds down and I head to bed, the two lessons of the day that stick out vividly to me are: No matter who you are, what you do for a living, or how much money you make: Be content with what you have and find refuge in God. Secondly, good results come from being a patient and humble individual.

I ask for your prayers to help me remain focused on HIS will, to trust HIM with all of my heart, and to have the ability to disconnect from having my mind run 80 miles a minute centered on my own woes. Instead to focus on saving lives, feeding the people in need, bringing multitudes to Christ, and being PRESENT on this missions trip mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically. May God continue protecting our team and the people of Haiti and allow HIS will to be done as we walk this spiritual journey. Until next time….Konfyans nan Bondye. (Trust in God)

Ro DelaMartinez
Healing Haiti Team Member

No comments:

Post a Comment